Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The RAW Journey

I thought it was time to give you a bit of an update on my attempt at going raw. I have stumbled a few times and, to be honest, I have not really put any pressure on myself to stick with it wholeheartedly; rather, I have decided to eat as much raw as possible but if I feel like something cooked then I make sure I have it. Otherwise I will go crazy and stress out about it. Who wants to stress about something as glorious as food?

Below are some of the delicious creations that I've had
over the last week or so...

Big fat fruit smoothie (see above)...This has a bit of everything - watermelon, banana, pineapple, sunflower seeds, spinach, frozen berries, pink grapefruit and some water. So refreshing and very very filling!


Nori rolls filled with veggies. Even without the rice, this attempt at sushi was
really yummy. I filled the nori sheets with avocado, sprouts, capsicum and asparagus.






If I do say so myself, this was an awesome salad. I bought a jar of marinated artichokes and a jar of olives from the supermarket and tossed them with spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, avocado, sliced zucchini, parsley, and topped it off with a homemade hummus dressing on top.


Dave has upped the anti for me and challenged me to go three weeks completely raw without any faltering. This was inspired by him seeing a program the other day which featured a doctor talking about how adapting a completely raw diet has proven to heal, or at least assist in the healing, of many diseases, including cancer.

He has encouraged me by promising that if we do this, we will then treat ourselves by going on a little journey to Lismore and the surrounding areas in Northern NSW. Dave just got back from a trip there over the weekend and cannot stop raving about it. Apparently the Channon Markets down there are huge and full of goodies and there are a couple of vegan restaurants and even a vegan ice-cream parlour down there! In fact, he said the best restaurant in the ENTIRE WORLD was down there, called 20,000 Cows. Apparently the owner is a food scientist and knows exactly which foods complement each other to bring out the best flavour. Dave particularly liked the beetroot chocolate cake...sounds interesting!

So this is my challenge, but I'm sure with such a great treat at the end I'm going to be able to do it easy! Although it is cold this morning and baked beans have been on the brain...

No comments:

Post a Comment